Monday, September 5, 2011

Peaches!!!

I am luckily enough to live in an area where you can find fresh fruit everywhere. A couple of Fridays ago on my way home from work I followed a homemade sign down a gravel driveway. I came upon a small house with different fruit trees covering their front and back yard. On a small table was several boxes of huge peaches, a scale and a locked box to drop your money. $1 a pound or a 25 pounds boxed up ready to go. I grabbed one of the large boxes, dropped some money in the box and headed home. My goal for the weekend, peach pie filling!!!

The next morning I peeled, pitted and chopped the peaches stirring in fresh fruit protector along the way.



I packed the peaches into jars. I had enough for 6 quarts and 6 pints. Enough to make 6 peach pies. In a couple of the jars I decided to add some fresh raspberries. Just layer them in with the peaches.

For the filling I mixed in a large pot:

4 cups sugar
1 cup corn starch
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp lemon juice
The seeds of 2 vanilla beans

Over medium high heat add 10 cups of water. Heat until mixture is well incorporated and becomes less cloudy, about 15-20 minutes. Pour hot mixture into jars slowly. Remove any air bubbles, wipe rims of jars, attach heated seals and rings. Process in boiling water bath for 25 minutes.


This last weekend it was time to test out the peach pie filling. With store bought pie crust and a cobbler topping. Delicious and I still have enough for 4 more pies!!!











- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment