Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fruit Butter: Strawberry Vanilla Bean

A couple of weeks ago I made blueberry butter following a recipe I found on www.foodinjars.com. I doubled the lemon zest and added an extra 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. It turned out awesome. I was trying to think of something else I could make a fruit butter out of. Strawberries? That might work. But what could I add to them to make it a little something special? I checked with our local health food store to see if they had whole vanilla beans. They did and they smelled great. Strawberry vanilla bean butter.

9 cups blended smooth strawberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 to 3 cups of sugar
3 vanilla beans

Put blended strawberries, lemon juice and seeds from vanilla beans in slow cooker for 10-14 hours on low. It will depend on how juicy your strawberries are. I also put the scraped vanilla bean pods in to cook for a couple of hours to make sure I got all the seeds out of them. Stir in sugar. I also added 1 tsp of classic pectin to thicken a little more. Put in jars and process in boiling water for 10 minutes.

It is amazing how dark the strawberries became after 14 hours of cooking. The recipe yielded 4 half pints.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment